Located 35 minutes north of Victoria, near the Malahat Summit, the Malahat Skywalk is an accessible 650m treetop walk through beautiful arbutus forest leading to a spectacular gentle spiral ramp that takes you up 40m to a sightseeing lookout offering views of Finlayson Arm and the distant Coast Mountains. It will provide a stunning new perspective on beautiful southern Vancouver Island.
All of the elements of the Malahat Skywalk are being carefully designed to create an architecturally stunning sightseeing and cultural attraction overlooking Finlayson Arm. The unique setting on the traditional territory of the Malahat Nation offers opportunities for local storytelling, cultural celebration and natural interpretive education.
Project features include:
- Safe one-way entry and exit off the Malahat Highway
- Ample parking for both cars and buses
- Welcome Pavilion for ticket and retail sales, bathrooms, café and kids’ playground
- 650m elevated, and accessible, tree walk with interpretive features incorporated into the experience
- 40m high lookout with an accessible spiral ramp from bottom to the top
- Interpretive nature walk will lead guests back from the lookout to the parking area.
- Picnic area surrounding the natural pond adjacent to the Welcome Pavilion.
The proposed Malahat Skywalk project team is meeting with south-island communities and special interest groups to discuss how this project can contribute positively to their vision for growth and help to diversify the economy. Although the project team has a strong vision for this proposed project, we are committed to an open, collaborative process.
The following are the ways we will be seeking community involvement:
- Community and special interest group meetings
- Tourism organization meetings
- Website feedback
- Public information sessions for the regulatory process.
These activities and events will give us a chance to present our plans and timelines for the Malahat Skywalk, as well as invite public input and questions.
We look forward to speaking with you about this exciting project.